The Emergency Medical Technician course curriculum extends for 7 months or 1 year. Training is designed to instruct a student to the level of Emergency Medical Technician who serves a vital link in the chain of health care at the pre hospital level. This course follows the United States DOT National EMS Education Standards & the NTA TTNVQ.
The programme consists of classroom theory & practical instruction. In addition, students may be required to complete clinical rotations (based on availability). Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be eligible to complete the United States National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NR EMT) computer based exam.
Pre-requisites (in addition to all GATE requirements):
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Minimum four (4) CSCE passes or equivalent (grades 1-3 general proficiency or grade 1 basic). A proficiency test will be administered where participants have a minimum of three passes.
- Must be able to perform duties of an EMT, including lifting & moving patients
- May not have physical or psychological dependence to any substance other than those recognized as therapeutic treatments for valid medical conditions for which they are currently under the care of a physician.
- Criminal Records Check (police certificate of good character)
- Proof of Immunizations including TB (within the last year),Hepatitis B, tetanus, Yellow fever, MMR
- Computer literate